Saturday, April 15, 2006

Rugby blues

I just came back from what may have been my worst rugby day. Sigh. Our team has been in an unfortunate downward spiral since sophomore year and it's just taken a nose-dive. I wish I knew what it was like to be on a winning team for once. Well, not for once because there have been good seasons, but all of that seems so far away when I have days like today. We had a Seven Sisters tournament at Smith. Not all the sisters showed up, but we did have substitutions - Brown??

Anyways, we get whalloped in our first game against Smith. They weren't necessarily bigger, but they were connecting better, especially their backs. OK, so I don't really like harping (publically) about my own teammates, but today deserves it. Our back line is for shit right now. I realize we have a lot of rookies and there's just a lot of inexperience. Still, I'd like to get through a game where not every one of the opposition's tries are made by breaking through the back line. There's no defense, they can't connect with one another, and it's pitiful. There are some especially terrible players in our back line - sorry, but I've got to admit. Sure, we can't have a full back line of EJ, but it's embarrassing when my teammates are rubbing against the other players rather than try to make an actual tackle.
But that doesn't mean the forwards are spectacular - far from it. Give me a pair of second rows who actually try, please. Hell, just give me one and I'll be the other one. It's true, the impact and the intensity of our rucks/mauls/scrums should be coming from the locks. I wish I could provide more.
OK, enough of this harping. I'm tired of always losing and being pissed at my team. Something dramatic needs to happen, and it needs to happen now. I'm not saying I'm going to quit the game - because I think that's just a lame thing to do - but something big needs to occur.

I'm tired, but I'm going to go to Tower to watch Mulan with G and her sister. Meeting her siblings yesterday was hilarious, nerve-racking, but still fun. I wish I hadn't been in such an awkward situation where I was being showcased. Another time, I hope. They seem like a fun bunch.

Currently listening to: "Forever" by Vertical Horizons

Currently procrastinating from: showering. I's a dirrrrty person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home